Wednesday, October 24, 2012

tools that change the way we think


Honestly I don’t feel as I am not the one making the choices on my laptop most of the time with Google telling me where I want to go, advertisements luring me to buy products, and YouTube distracting me with videos of a sneezing panda. When I enter the internet it feels like being a kindergartener again, being forced to stay in the single file line with everyone else and the teacher telling you “No Eddie you don’t want to go over there you want to stay in line. We’re not getting paid to show you that so stay in line”. So whenever I use this technology extensively I always find myself on some new Nike sportswear ad or viral video that is beneficial for the search engine to lead you to when I was first looking at a biography of Shakespeare or something. This Google article actually scares the living shit out of me as I don’t want some Google implant or even worse siri Implant in my head telling me what I want and what everything is because if this were to happen we would naturally become lazy. Everyone would think “well my Google implant knows how to add 36 and 28 so might as well ask it instead of doing it I”. From there we would just all become mindless zombies with a Google implant telling us where to eat, shop, or invest because we would be so reliant to it. I do feel that technology has made information to be accessed much more easily than 20 years ago where you would go through an encyclopedia, but I do feel we should return to some of those traits of the past where things weren’t so easily validated as true and things were further investigated. Unlike today where yahoo and Wikipedia said so, so it has to be true. Also information of past generations became popular or massly read as it was the most truthful information unlike today where it is the one who pays the most that gets the front cover of everything. Our tools today may have many biases moving them, but as I have learned in Dr. Preston’s class there are ways to avoid being forced into that single file line and enter unbiased tools and resources to get the straight facts.

No comments:

Post a Comment